|The Mayor presides at all meetings and serves as Chief Executive Officer and official head of the Town government. He may cast a vote only in the case of a tie. The Mayor is elected in a non-partisan election to serve two-year terms. Miles Atkins currently serves as the Mayor of Mooresville.
About Miles Atkins
Miles Atkins was born in Tampa, Florida and attended Plant High School, where he was student body president and graduated in 1981. He attended Auburn University and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Political Science.
Atkins began his career in sales & marketing in Tampa and was recruited to Charlotte to work in the communications industry. He has since worked in key product development, sales & marketing, and marketing support services. Currently, Atkins serves as Director of Corporate Affairs & Government Relations for Iredell Health System.
In 2007, Atkins was elected to serve as a Commissioner-At-Large for the Town of Mooresville. He ran on a platform of visionary leadership, accountability and transparency. Atkins ran for Mayor of Mooresville in 2011, focusing on combining the strengths of ALL of Mooresville, developing a strong economy and continuing to press for accountable government.
Atkins and his wife, Kim, relocated to Mooresville in 1997. They have a daughter, Rett, and a son, Liam.
About the Role of Mayor
According to the National League of Cities, the following are specific responsibilities of mayor:
- Chair governing body meetings, which includes paying attention to
parliamentary procedures, and ensuring the accomplishment of desired outcomes;
- Serve as primary contact between the management staff and the governing body to keep the community agenda moving;
- Encourage good communication with citizens, the media, other members of the
governing body, and the chief administrator;
- Represent local government in many settings in the community, with other local
governments, and at state and national levels;
- Facilitate action during meetings, between meetings, and throughout the community;
- Help to create, maintain, and strengthen the effectiveness of the local leadership team; and
- Encourage and support the community during a crisis.
Currently, Mayor Atkins is appointed to serve as a member of the following Town and community organizations:
Centralina Economic Development Commission
MI-Connection Strike Team
Mooresville-South Iredell Chamber of Commerce
Mooresville-South Iredell Leadership Foundation Inc.
Mooresville/South Iredell Economic Development Corporation
Town of Mooresville Audit/Finance/Insurance Committee
Town of Mooresville Nominations Committee
Town of Mooresville Personnel Committee
Town of Mooresville Public Safety Committee