Temporary & Prohibited Signs
There is often confusion about what signs are allowed within the town limits. Therefore, it is best to call the Planning Department at 704-662-7040 before purchasing any sign to ensure that it is a permitted (allowed) sign.
Sandwich board signs, also known as “A-frame” signs, are allowed with the following restrictions:
- Only allowed in RMX, NMX, TND-C, VC, and TC;
- Maximum 12 sq ft/4 ft high;
- One per establishment;
- Removed every evening; and
- Located on the property where the business is located.
Temporary banners are allowed for special events for nonresidential uses provided they are:
- Maximum 75 sq ft;
- Attached to the building – not to a roof, fence or existing sign face;
- Not located above the second floor level;
- Limited to four events per business per calendar year for not more than 15 days per event (can be adjusted to two 15-day periods); and
- Removed within two days of the event’s end.
Prohibited signs include:
- ANY sign in the right of way;
- ANY sign on metal or wood stakes not attached to a permanent foundation (temporary elections signs are excluded);
- ANY portable sign;
- ANY roof sign; and
- ANY flashing or rotating sign.
View the Sign Ordinance for more information.