Historic Preservation Commission
Duties of the Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) include:
- Undertake an inventory of properties of historical, architectural and/or cultural significance;
- Recommend to the Town Board of Commissioners areas to be designated by ordinance as "Historic Districts" and individual structures, buildings, sites, areas or objects to be designated by ordinance as "Landmarks;”
- Recommend to the Town Board of Commissioners that designation of any area as an historic district, or part thereof, or designation of any building, structure, site, area or object as a landmark be revoked or removed for cause;
- Review and act upon proposals for alterations, demolition or new construction within historic districts, if designated, or for the alteration or demolition of designated landmarks; and
- Conduct an educational program with respect to historic districts and landmarks within its jurisdiction.
The HPC consists of eight members appointed by the Town Board of Commissioners. The commission meets the first Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. in the Executive Conference Room at Town Hall. Mandy Edwards (704-799-4089) is the staff liaison for the HPC.
Historic Preservation Commission Members:
Elizabeth Cheek-Jones - Chair
Clark Daniel Tew
Bobby Compton– Commissioner